If you’re a fitness enthusiast, you know the importance of having the right gear. High-quality workout clothes help you perform better and make you feel more confident and comfortable during your training sessions.
However, keeping your workout clothes clean and fresh can be challenging, especially if you’re not washing them properly.
Sweat, dirt, and bacteria can build up in the fibers, causing odors and reducing their performance and lifespan.
In this article, we’ve put together the ultimate guide on how to wash workout clothes for lasting wear—from choosing the suitable detergent to drying them properly.
The Importance of Properly Washing Workout Clothes
Washing workout clothes after use removes sweat, bacteria, and dirt that can accumulate during exercise.
When you exercise, your body produces sweat, leading to unpleasant odors in your workout clothes. Properly washing your clothes can remove the bacteria that cause these odors, keeping your clothes smelling fresh and clean.
Maintain fabric quality
Workout clothes are made of specialized fabrics designed to wick away sweat and provide comfort and flexibility during exercise. Proper washing helps maintain the fabric’s quality, preventing pilling, shrinking, or fading and ensuring that the clothes perform as intended.
Prevent skin irritation
Prolong the lifespan of clothes
Exercise can expose you to germs and bacteria; your workout clothes can harbor these pathogens if improperly washed. Regular washing improves hygiene, reducing the risk of infections, allergies, and other health problems.
By keeping your workout clothes clean, you can maintain a healthier and more hygienic environment for your workouts.
How to Wash Workout Clothes
Knowing how to wash workout clothes that smell and stink is essential for effectively removing sweat, bacteria, and dirt while preserving the fabric’s quality and extending the lifespan of the clothes.
Washing machine wash
Here’s your guide on how to wash workout clothes using a washing machine.
- Check the care label to determine the appropriate washing instructions.
- Sort clothes by fabric type and color to prevent damage or discoloration.
- Turn clothes inside out to protect the fabric’s surface and ensure effective cleaning.
- Use a sportswear or performance detergent to effectively remove sweat and bacteria without damaging the fabric.
- Avoid fabric softeners or bleach, as these can damage the fabric’s fibers and reduce their performance.
- Use the appropriate water temperature and cycle setting for the fabric type, usually a cold or warm wash and a gentle or normal process.
- Add a vinegar solution to the rinse cycle to remove odor and bacteria further.
- Hang or lay flat to dry, avoiding using a dryer as high heat can damage the fabric’s elasticity and performance.
Here’s your guide to washing your workout laundry through hand wash.
- Fill a clean sink or basin with cool or lukewarm water and add sportswear or performance detergent.
- Gently agitate the clothes in the water, avoiding harsh scrubbing or wringing to prevent damage to the fabric.
- Let the clothes soak in the water for 15-30 minutes to remove sweat and bacteria.
- Drain the soapy water and rinse the clothes thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water until all the soap is removed.
- Gently press the clothes to remove excess water, avoiding twisting or wringing to prevent damage to the fabric.
- Hang or lay flat to dry, avoiding direct sunlight or high heat, which can damage the fabric’s elasticity and performance.
- Add a vinegar solution to the rinse water for further removal of odor and bacteria.
How to Dry Workout Clothes
Properly drying workout clothes is just as important as washing them, as high heat or improper drying methods can damage the fabric’s elasticity and performance.
After washing, it’s best to hang or lay flat to dry, avoiding using a dryer whenever possible. If you must use a dryer, choose a low or delicate setting and remove the clothes as soon as they’re dry to avoid excess heat exposure.
It’s also important to avoid drying workout clothes in direct sunlight, which can cause fading and discoloration.
For clothes with elastic bands, it’s best to hang them up by the waistband to avoid stretching out the elastic.
How Often Should I Wash My Workout Clothes?
Now, the question is, how often do you wash workout clothes? Washing your workout clothes after every use is recommended, as sweat and bacteria can accumulate on the fabric and cause odors, skin irritation, and potentially even infection.
This is especially true for clothes worn during high-intensity workouts or in hot and humid environments.
If you can’t wash your clothes immediately after a workout, it’s best to at least hang them up to dry and air them out before washing.
Avoid re-wearing sweaty workout clothes multiple times before washing, as this can contribute to bacteria and odor buildup.
By washing your workout clothes regularly, you can help maintain their quality and performance and ensure good hygiene and comfort during your workouts.
Let our team of experts at Clean Touch Cleaners take care of your workout clothes, so you can confidently focus on achieving your fitness goals.
Additional Tips For Keeping Your Workout Clothes Clean
You can use these several tips and tricks to help keep your workout clothes clean, fresh, and in good condition.
- Don’t leave sweaty clothes in a pile. When you finish your workout, remove your sweaty clothes and hang them up or put them in a laundry bin to air out and prevent bacteria buildup.
- Wash clothes immediately after wearing them. If you can, wash your workout clothes as soon as possible after wearing them to prevent sweat and bacteria from setting in and causing odors.
- Use a laundry sanitizer. Consider adding a laundry sanitizer to your wash cycle to help kill any lingering bacteria and keep your clothes smelling fresh.
- Avoid fabric softeners. Fabric softeners can leave a coating on workout clothes that can clog the fabric’s pores and decrease its moisture-wicking abilities, so it’s best to avoid them.
- Skip the dryer sheets. Like fabric softeners, dryer sheets can leave a coating on workout clothes, decreasing their performance over time.
- Don’t overload the washing machine. Overloading the washing machine can prevent your workout clothes from getting a thorough clean, so following the manufacturer’s recommendations for load size and the water level is essential.
Contact Clean Touch Cleaners now to experience the difference between professional laundry services and give your workout clothes the care they deserve!
The Consequences of Not Properly Washing Your Workout Clothes
Even wonder why your workout clothes smell after washing? If you don’t wash your workout clothes properly, the odor-causing bacteria can linger in the fabric, even after multiple washes. This can lead to unpleasant smells that are hard to remove, making your clothes unwearable.
Dirt and sweat buildup in your workout clothes can cause skin irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin. This can lead to rashes, acne, and other skin problems, making your workout uncomfortable and potentially causing long-term damage.
Proper washing is essential for maintaining the lifespan of your workout clothes. If you don’t wash them correctly, the fabric can wear out, shrink, or fade, making them less durable and requiring you to replace them more frequently.
Increased risk of infection
Not washing your workout clothes can increase your risk of infection. Sweat, dirt, and bacteria can accumulate in the fabric, creating a breeding ground for germs that can cause conditions, allergies, or other health problems. This is especially true if you share your workout clothes with others, such as in a gym or fitness class.
How To Prepare Workout Clothes For Cleaning
Do you know how to clean workout clothes? You need to start with preparation. Preparing workout clothes for cleaning is essential to effectively remove sweat, bacteria, and dirt and prevent damage to the fabric. What happens next?
Check the care label
Before washing your workout clothes, it’s essential to check the care label to ensure that you use the correct washing instructions. Some fabrics may require specific temperature settings, washing methods, or detergents to avoid damage or shrinkage during cleaning
Sort clothes by fabric type
Sorting workout clothes by fabric type is important to prevent damage or discoloration during washing. Delicate fabrics should be washed separately from sturdier materials to avoid snagging or tearing, and dark-colored fabrics should be washed separately to prevent color bleeding.
Turn clothes inside out
Pre-treat stains and odors
Use the right detergent
Using the right detergent is essential for effectively cleaning workout clothes. Look for a detergent designed for sportswear or performance fabrics, as these are formulated to effectively remove sweat and bacteria without damaging the fabric. Avoid fabric softeners or bleach, as these can damage the fabric’s fibers and reduce their performance.
At Clean Touch Cleaners, we know the best way to wash workout clothes. We’re committed to helping you get the most out of your workout clothes. Contact us now to learn more about our services and take the first step towards a cleaner, fresher gear.
Let the Experts Handle the Washing for You
Properly washing workout clothes is essential for keeping them clean, fresh, and in good condition for as long as possible.
By following the tips and best practices outlined, you can ensure that your workout clothes get the care they need to perform well and last.
However, we understand that not everyone has the time or resources to properly care for their workout clothes, so we’re here to help.
At Clean Touch Cleaners, we specialize in laundry services to help you keep your clothes looking and feeling their best. Our team of experts is trained in the latest techniques and technologies for cleaning workout clothes.
We use only the best quality detergents and cleaning agents to ensure your clothes are cared for. Whether you need a one-time cleaning or ongoing laundry service, we’re here to help.
Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you keep your workout clothes clean and fresh.